Monday, 16 July 2007

YUI Live Search (aka AJAX AutoComplete) - Integration with Struts - II

Hi all,

I´ve been very busy lately landing into a new job, so I couldn't add any new entries.

I´ve received a couple of questions about the autocomplete component, and it seems that everybody gets confused in the same part.

The autocomplete component is esentially a ui component, so it does not provide any function to filter the results in the server. That means you have to implement you own search and return it to the client. If you don´t do that, more likely you will get all the results at once.

However, it has a filter function in the client side if you activate the cache, but you would have to return all the results the first time to make it work, and it´s not the way is intended.

Here it is the sources for an example of the autocomplete, provided by Rohitesh (thanks!).




In the next entries I will exploring some not very hot topics, but useful ones like an integration of the Jakarta Commons Validator with Swing (using the struts validations), a little Swing framework, and the use of Cactus Testing Framework with JBoss 4.

It´s amazing the number of companies that still use technologies like swing and ejbs (entities), and the thing is that using some helping tools, it works (with some effort, that is).

6 comments:

RD said...

Hey Adolfo,

Hmmmm.... Am making the same mistake. Will work on it, and update you. Thanks.

Cheers,
Rohitesh.

RD said...

It worked! ;)

Admin said...

Cool!

RD said...

Adolfo,

How come you are not writing anymore? ;(

Admin said...

I'm on it, I will publish some entries and code in the next few days.

thanks for your interest

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.