Hi guys!
I´m going to share with you some technical stuff about Ajax. And the reason is that I´ve been working lately a lot with it, because you know, these days you just can´t use a standard dropdown, you need an ajax driven dropdown or a web 2.0 dropdown.
I suppose you know what Ajax is, if not check out this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29. (where have you been, in the Lost Island?, by the way I´ve got a crazy theory that I´ll share with you :) )
Generally speaking, Ajax components could improve the user experience, if correctly used. For example the live search component, or the google search, I´m sure you know it; you just type some characters and the result appears without refreshing the page. You go on typing and more results appear.
This component could save a lot of time and pain in a web application, I´ve used it to replace a conventional search (yes, with a pop up and pagination buttons, oh my!), replacing the manual pagination through hundreds of results for a simple search box. You just type a 3 o more chars and the results appear in DIV, under the box or next to it. Even you can have links inside the results!.
So what I will do it´s explain to you how to integrate a Live Search component in your application using different frameworks and components.
Ok, let´s have a look at the frameworks then. There are many of them, almost every software company has one, it´s the sign of the times. I´ll talk about the ones I know and I have used:
- YUI (Yahoo User Interface): http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/.
- DWR (Direct Web Remoting): http://getahead.org/dwr.
- GWT (Google Web Toolkit): http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/.
- Moo.Fx : http://moofx.mad4milk.net.
- Rico: http://openrico.org/rico/home.page.
I´ll start with the YUI framework and the integration of the YUI live seach component with Struts, JSF and Spring MVC. That will be in the next entry.
See you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment