Sunday, 22 April 2007

In the beginning..let there be Blog

Hi everyone!

It´s been a while since I wanted to write this blog.. but at last I´ve got some time in my hands to do it.

My goal is to share some practical stuff that I´ve been using in rl projects and other experimental stuff.. of course the main topic will be java and jee (yeah it´s not dead, like some folks would wish) and Ruby (it´s a cool OO language).

About Ruby I have to say that is a neat language but its killer app, Ruby on Rails, failed to impressed me.. it has some neat stuff, thats true, but nothing that you can´t find in java/jee frameworks:

- Code generation: the most talked feature... it´s old stuff in j2ee/java, you have plenty of those, and more advanced: Middlegen, AndroMDA, AppFuse...

-ORM: Hibernate (original, huh?), TopLink, Ibatis (semi-ORM), etc.. and by the way more complete than the ActiveRecord. I suppose that will be fixed in next RRails version.

-Web Framework: it´s nice, but again nothing new there.

-Ajax support: nothing new..

I think the best they have done it´s to integrate all that stuff in one framework, trying to make it as simple as possible. Doing a CRUD application, it´s easy, but beyond that... things change.

Ruby on Rails plays in a different league, it´s a good alternative to php, lamp.. it´s easier and more powerful, but I don´t see an enterprise project done in Ruby on Rails.

Don´t take me wrong, I like the framework, but I can´t understand like java gurus like Bruce Tate, changed his mind and company from java to ruby like that..maybe looking for a new piece of cheese? It´s a new field indeed.

Well, in the next entry I´ll talk about...AJAX, Web 2.0 Holy Grail

No comments: